| ||Citizens' Academy Online Application|
The Rockingham County Citizens’ Academy is a free, ten-week program for Rockingham County citizens to learn and better understand how Rockingham County Government operates. The 10-week classes are from 5:30-8 p.m., on Thursdays.
Application deadline for the 2017 Fall Class is 11:59 p.m., Monday, July 31, 2017. .
- Graduation occurs during the recognition section of a 6:30 p.m. meeting of the Rockingham County Board of Commissioners.
- The Citizens' Academy is coordinated for citizen community leaders by citizen leaders who are graduates of the program.
What Is The Rockingham County CITIZENS’ ACADEMY ? The Rockingham County Citizens’ Academy originated in the fall, 2012; endorsed and sponsored by the Rockingham County Board of Commissioners. In the spring, 2013, the Citizens’ Academy transitioned to a citizens’ led Academy.
Purpose: To inform, educate, engage, and empower local citizens with a thorough, behind-the-scenes view of Rockingham County Government in order to help grow and develop future County Governmental leaders; to personally meet and talk with County elected officials, department heads, appointed Board/Committee leaders, and staff to better understand how County Government operates; to gain a working knowledge about the County’s overall organization, vision, mission, goals, objectives, budget, policies, procedures, and day-to-day functions to create civic ambassadors who may enlighten others about County Government.
Who Can Attend: Any Rockingham County resident, employee, or business owner 18 years of age or older; All Rockingham Community College students may participate, in or out of County.
APPLICATIONS: Citizens’ Academy applications are on the Rockingham County Government’s website and may be completed ONLINE by clicking <HERE>.
You may print the application or request an application by contacting the Rockingham County Public Information Officer, Dr. Mable Scott, Suite 210, Rockingham County Governmental Center, 371 NC 65, Reidsville, NC 27375. Phone: 336.342.8342, or email:firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications must be emailed, mailed or delivered to Rockingham County’s Public Information Office.
Should you experience any technical difficulties or incompatibilities submitting your application online, please send your application to Public Information Officer Mable Scott, Suite 210, Rockingham County Governmental Center, 371 NC 65, Wentworth, NC 27375. Phone: 336.342.8342, fax: 336.342.8105, or email: email@example.com
For More Information: Contact Citizens’ Academy Steering Committee Chairman Leanna Lawson at phone: 336.939.2387 ……email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• CITIZENS’ ACADEMY GRADUATES
-Fall 2016 Elisabeth Cedillo, Debbie Ellis, Gerri Hunt of Eden, Joseph Irving, Roberta Lindsey, Walter Moore, Amber Nawa, Tammy Nichols, Geraldine Partee, Cathy Scales, Kirk Smith, Tonya Totten, Tyra Totten, Sandy Williams.
Belal Elrahal, Janice Flowers, Vanessa Gaddy, Pamela Hall, Anne Harper,Mary Hawkins, Luis Jimenez, Sarah Jimenez, Carol Johnson, Ken McCandless, Bonnie Pedone, Fred Pedrone, Shelby Rhyne, Amy Simpson, June Willis, Lisa Colfield, Larry Baynes, James Stephens
- Fall 2014
Anna Barker, Edwin Barker II, Barbara Boudreax, Terry Brown, Faye Crawford, Doris Davis, Fleecie Ellington, Andrea Fox, Hope Gilley, Dorothy Harris, John Harris, Rev. Paul Kennedy, Noreen C. Key, Cynthia Langston, Roy Langston, Bruce Lee, Rhonda Lemons, Robert Lowdermilk, Juanita Nunley, Fredrick Thompson
- Fall 2013
Norris Beveridge, Sr., Sharon Beveridge, Betty Brantley, Megan Browning, Judy Dacio, Gary Fox, Marie Fox, Doug Isley, Betty Marcellus, Linda Martin, Patricia Saunders, Angel Thurston, and Tom & Janice Wangard.
- Spring 2013
Victor Armstrong, Jacey Bell, Anthony Cook, Mary Ann Evans, Michele Foust, Bob Graham, Georgia Graves, Brent Huss, David Mathis, Tammy Nash, Melissa S. Johnson, Robert Pankey, Pat Perry, Talmadge Priddy, Dawn Rogers, Thomas Schoolfield, Sheila Tilley, Karen Tucker, Sharon Wheeler, Doris Whitt, Margherita DeRosa
- Fall 2012
Lula C. Bass, Deborah Brady, Walt Cooper, Amber Cruz, Sara Cummings, Sherry Garrett, Theresa Giles, Mark Hatchett, Leanna Lawson, Clarinda Lipscomb, Edna McCollum, Sammy Massey, Gary L. Moore, Linda Nye, Meggan R. Odell, Jeffrey H. Parris, Sharon G. Penley, Richard Junior Ratliff, Royce L. Richardson, John Roberts, Matt Smith, Phyllis A Thomas, Jeffrey E. Utter, Casey Vincent, Heather Welch, William N. Wells Jr.
(For Additional Videos, Including Classes from the initial year of operation, Use PLAYLIST Function on Video Player)
2012 Citizens' Academy Inaugural
1. Welcome, introductions, purpose, Steering Committee, County Board of Commissioners, Appointed Boards/Committees, County Manager, County Government’s organizational chart, County Government 101, Civics in Action – SEPT. 6 in Governmental Center Board Room, 371 NC 65, Wentworth.
2. Geography, History, Population, Culture, Quality of Life, SWOT Analysis – SEPT. 13 at Museum & Archives of Rockingham County (MARC), former County Courthouse, 1086 NC 65, Wentworth.
3. Human Resources, Safety/Risk, Legal, Information Technology, Public Information Office – SEPT. 20 in Governmental Center Board Room.
4. Public Health, Engineering & Public Utilities, Soil & Water Conservation, Code Enforcement, Animal Shelter – SEPT. 27 in Governmental Center Kitchen.
5. Department of Social Services, Veterans Services, Youth Services, Head Start – OCT. 4 in Governmental Center Board Room.
6. Cooperative Extension, Business & Technology Center, Partnership for Economic & Tourism Development – OCT. 11 in Governmental Center Board Room.
7. Board of Elections, Library – OCT. 18 at Rockingham County Public Library’s Eden Branch, 598 S. Pierce Street Eden, NC 27288.
8. Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Management, 9-1-1 Communications, Emergency Medical Services, Pre-Trial Services – OCT. 25 at Law Enforcement Center Training Room, 170 NC 65, Reidsville, NC 27320.
9. Register of Deeds, Planning/Inspections, Geographic Information Systems, Tax Department – NOV. 1 at Rockingham Community College’s Advanced Technology Building. 5:30 p.m.-105 conference room for boxed meals. 6:05 p.m.-106 computer lab.
10. Budget, Finance, Purchasing, Lean Management – NOV. 8 in Governmental Center Board Room.
GRADUATION – NOV. 13 during Board of Commissioners’ Recognitions in Governmental Center Board Room.