Don't Get Burned - You Can Be Fined for Illegal Open Burning in Rockingham County!
There are a lot of misunderstandings about open-air burning in our County. Some think it's OK to burn trash in barrels because they've always done it. It's not. Others think it's always OK to burn leaves and branches in the fall. But that's not so in cities and counties that pick up yard waste.
If it Doesn't Grow, Don't Burn it!
Only leaves, branches and other plant growth can be burned -- nothing else!
Don’t EVER Burn:
- Garbage, paper and cardboard
- Building materials, including lumber and wood scraps
- Tires, other rubber products, asphalt shingles, and heavy oils
- Paints, household and agricultural chemicals
- Wire, plastics and synthetic materials
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Brush can be composted, ground up for mulch, or just left to rot.
- Newspapers can be recycled.
- Old junk can be given away for reuse.
Take a look at what you've decided to burn.Isn't there something else you can do with it?
For More Information:
- Burning Laws: Fire Marshall’s Office at 634-3000
- Environmental Health: 342-8180