The Rockingham County Legal Department represents the county government in legal proceedings, provide legal advice to the Board of Commissioners and county departments, and supervises the drafting of ordinances and legal documents. We also prosecute ordinance violations in the county, but do not prosecute criminal matters. We cannot provide legal services to private citizens.
The County Attorney’s Office serves as in-house legal counsel to elected county officials, county departments and county boards.
The County Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal services or advice to private citizens. Legal Aid (1-800-951-2257 or 1-866-219-5262) or NC Attorney Referral Service: 1-800-662-7660 may be helpful to citizens seeking legal representation and/or answers to general legal questions.
The County Attorney’s Office does not handle business complaints. People with business complaints, including questions regarding licensing or problems with a business transaction, should contact the North Carolina Attorney General’s Consumer Affairs (919-716-6000) or the Better Business Bureau (336-852-4240).
PO Box 93
Wentworth, NC 27375
Emily A. Sloop
Cindy Herring, North Carolina Certified Paralegal
Dianne Woods, North Carolina Certified Paralegal
Donna Fulcher, Legal Secretary
To provide legal advice and representation to the Board of Commissioners and all County departments and agencies in order to assist them in achieving their goals and objectives in accordance with all relevant laws.
Providing legal representation and a variety of legal services to the Board of Commissioners and County departments and agencies including attendance at Commissioner and other board meetings, consultation, drafting ordinances and resolutions, preparing legal documents and managing litigation.
Rockingham County Attorney
· Appointed by the Board of Commissioners and serves at the Board’s pleasure
· Responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to Board of Commissioners, County Manager and Department Heads
· Manages day to day activities of an in house law department
· Prepares and implements department operating budget
· Litigates and coordinates litigation before State, Federal, and Appellate Courts and administrative agencies
· Renders legal opinions concerning proposed actions and current issues
· Reviews, prepares and amends contracts and real estate transactions for the county
· Represents and advocates on behalf of the County in variety of matters, ranging from negotiations with other local governments and financial matters.